a little light, a little peace

This is dedicated to my family, friends, and homies in the slam.

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

the internet is dead

The saddest thing I have seen so far have been the homeless. The homeless cats and dogs and people, especially the kids. They just exist in the streets; it breaks my heart. I also pass by a mother with three little kids on the street. I have been into Baltimore before but I am not used to seeing poverty everyday. I feel as if there is little I can do, but maybe there is a lot I can do. I don't know. The one line in a movie that I saw recently (Patch Adams) runs through my head everytime I see a person on the streets is something like-Who will show them compassion when no one else will. Also, this is from any religious text you read as well.

Cutlurally everyday is a learning experience for me. I know I say this a lot but it is true; however, I got to see cultural education in reverse a couple of days ago when I watched the superbowl. Me and a couple of roommates went to a sports cafe to watch the superbowl from 130-430 in the am. We (the Americans) brought along one of our Egyptian roommates. He knew nothing of football and probably still doesn't. During the game we explained things to him even though it is a very complicated game to learn. One of the things I realized is that when he sees an announcer talking about the game he has no idea who that person is. He does not possess the cultural knowledge to see the name know the guy plays football and how popular he was in that world. He lacks all cultural connotations that make the game have depth on a cultural level. I am just the same way here and I realized that there are countries that go to war because they lack the cultural capital to deal with another group without resorting to violence.

Classes are going well; they pretty much seem to be the same sort of classes like I would take at home. Arabic is hard and in a foreign language, the 206 class seems easy, and the history classes will be reading, writing, and discussion. Some things never change.

I am beginning to feel more comfortable here as I create my identity in Egypt. I am learning the everyday routine actions which make living easier. I am getting better at making small talk, buying food, going to a shop, and crossing the street. I have never ever been a fan of small talk though I am guilty of using it, I never realized what I see as the importance of it now that I am out of a place where I don't know the proper words and cultural scripts. I always knew small talk facilitated everyday actions and I even felt it insincere and meaningless. But right now I am grateful for small talk as it lets me practice arabic, approach people in stores such as shopkeeperes, and in general not feeling isolated. I don't have a large enough vocabulary to talk about other things, so we talk about where we live our name, if we have brothers and sisters, the weather, and how we are doing. I think I will still look down upon small talk when I return to the US but I now understand the necessity of it for some people (myself included).

Egypt is a new place for me so I am dedicating myself to new activities while I am here. I willtry and take up some new activivites such as boxing, judo, and teaching. Yes teaching, I may end up teaching an english class here in Egypt. Also, I hope to continue Aikido and I hope to find that when you get on the mat, aikido is still aikido no matter country or language. I have also tried cigarettes and shisha. I prefer cigarettes to shisha because shisha makes me dizzy and lightheaded. Don't worry, I will not pick up the habit because I need my lungs for sports. Also, it very easy to pick up smoking because it is everywhere, it is cheap, and you are always offered a cigarette. Have no fear. And yes mom, I have visited some dens of iniquity here. I think the most iniquitious was the night out with Mustafa.

Thats all for now, hopefully soon we will be getting cookware in the hotel and can make food. I miss spaghetti.

No comments: