a little light, a little peace

This is dedicated to my family, friends, and homies in the slam.

Thursday, April 3, 2008

April 1

So for those of you who don't know this is what went down across the street from my house on April 1st.

This is an email from my dad to me:

"This was an interesting experience. I first heard about it on the internet yesterday and talk with - soon after it happened. Apparently - had seen a group of guys chasing each other, one screaming "call 911" when they passed her on the street. Then she heard a gunshot.
When I got home from work, the crime lab was still at the house, taking fingerprints, taking out bags of whatever as evidence (?), yellow crime scene tape surrounding the house, news reporters - almost like a movie scene. It really seemed like a very eloborate April Fools Day joke, but alas no.

The police said that drugs were most likely involved, all cars that belonged to the house inhabitants were impounded and towed, and all people who were in the house, who earlier were portrayed on the news as "hostages" who were bound and gagged, were all taken away in police cars, some in handcuffs!

Later in the evening a sense on normalcy came back to the neighborhood, but the house itself is a mess - fingerprinting dust all over the front door, screen door wide open, blinds in the windows a mess. - spoke seveal times on the phone with - and I got an email back from her saying she didn't know what was going on! But, she will be trying to get the current residents out sooner rather than later (their lease is up in June) and that her in-laws will be moving in shortly thereafter.

Hope you're having a quiet day and talk to you soon.
Dad"

http://wjz.com/local/baltimore.county.home.2.689549.html

Nothing like this ever happens on my street. We have had some problems every once in a while but nothing this serious. Although, I haven't talked to anyone on the street except my family, I am sure a whole mess of people are shaken up about it. From what my folks say, the police presence on the street has been stepped up. The one good news from this whole story is that there were two boys kidnapped by whoever did the kidnapping. Thankfully they were found alive, though they still have a lot of their own troubles from what the reports say (drugs and assault and arrests).

I am worried what this will do to our street. We don't know what kind of activity went on in that house and who was there. There were always people coming and going at odd hours as well. But how will the neighbors of the street perceive this? Will they still let their kids play outside or will there be more rules? I hope not too much changes because the threat seems to be over. It kind of feels like the little world our street existed on has been invaded, but I know it is just a part of the real world that lots of people deal with everyday. It makes me angry and frustrated that they would bring this down upon themselves and our street. I am not saying keep the drug use in the city, I'd rather not have it all, but this just shows me once more that people don't consider others around them in their life and that their choices affect one another. What is worst is the dangers it brings to the kids on our street. I can't even begin to imagine what life in the bad parts of cities are like where children grow up.

We, in fact, are a selfish human race, but there are some people out there who shine for others. That gives my heart some respite.

No comments: