a little light, a little peace

This is dedicated to my family, friends, and homies in the slam.

Monday, March 31, 2008

my previous week

last week was a day of fun and litle homework, this week is the week of work except for aikido! time to buckle down. which is why i am going to read some zombit lit for a minute or two now. ah, the story of my life well college at least.

for my birthday i went and and had a stella with my coteacher Ariel at Cafe Hurriya. It was nice. Then thursday I went to the hard rock cafe with some of my American roommates (current and former) and celebrated there. We ate chicken wings, huge burgers, and drank Sakarra beer. We all commented on how nice it was to do something American again after having been engulfed in Egyptian culture for two months. When we first arrived, we felt underdressed. It was at this really nice hotel, the Grand Hyatt, which is right on the water of the Nile. Our window in the restaurant looked out onto a walkway next to the water. Inside it was the typical hard rock cafe, big and loud with lots of memorabilia.

i have stopped worrying about how much i am fitting in, basically because i will almost always stick out. i used to be frustrated that i had to carry my backpack around (backpacks never caught on here) but now i just do it. also, i have developed some skills to blending in or at least make myself look less noticeable, i have some clothing options that are more used by egyptians and i know how to cross the street.

i still get welcomed now and again. today for instance, one guy said welcome to me. i said thanks but i have been living here for two months now. i know that it is not a lot of time but i have walked up and down that street i can't say how many times.

i fear that my first package of letters has gotten lost, so i will recommence the writing of these letters very soon. sorry about that.

No comments: