a little light, a little peace

This is dedicated to my family, friends, and homies in the slam.

Friday, March 28, 2008

Troubles of the world

The news seems to be mostly bad in the world today in terms of the economy and in food prices. It has got a lot of people worried and got us worried here too. If you just read the newspaper you get a sinking feeling in your stomach, not just for the US but for the rest of the world too.

This is the first big problem in the US economy that I will be most affected by, not having grown up during the 70s oil crisis or any of the other problems before I was born. Also, when I was younger I was never exposed to any major economic troubles enough to be aware of them or for them to have an effect on my life. Now that I am older, I read the paper and talk about what is happening today with people my age. We are going to be getting out into the job market when we get out of college and it is going to be tough. People all over the world will be suffering more too.

One of my friends here has had his parents lose their jobs in the computer industry and now they are struggling. Milk prices have risen dramatically. My mother talks about the rising gas prices and the effects on our family.

I think the biggest thing for me is that these things from the news have now had a personal effect on me and people I know. For the first time that I have been aware of, the bad news of the newspaper has come alive and entered into my life. This is not a complaint about that, just more of a realization of reality as I continue to get older and more aware of myself and the world.

There have been people killed for bread in Egypt last week too.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23825670/
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23832071/
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23781864/

No comments: