a little light, a little peace

This is dedicated to my family, friends, and homies in the slam.

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

tissue overload

fatuous-foolish, silly, unreal

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fatuous



A word I did not know.



Do you have permanent fatal errors? like my returned mail



Chaos in my world as the ful and tamiya shop by radio shack has raised their prices from 50 to 60 piasters. This is a true money making scheme becase very rarely is change given in less than25 piasters. So when I want to but 2 sandwhiches they make an extra 5 piasters, 3 sandwhiches and extra 20 piasters, 4 sandwhiches an extra 10 piasters, ect. In reality it is not that much more money and still the best deal for ful and tamiya in town. But now is it no longer easy bills like half pounds. As I said-chaos.

My friend who lives in Zamalek told me about a certain type of egyptian pizza where they make the dough in a cool way. They take a thing of thick flattened dough wrap it in a thinner layer of flattened dough, and wrap that in an even thinner layer of flattened dough put toppings on and then cook it. The result-a new pizza sensation. You have really crispy outside and chewy on the inside. Pete you know where we are going to eat at least one of your nights here.

This country has an addiction to tissues, specifically the little packets of them. They are sold in all the stores that sell them and by almost all the homeless people in the streets. I believe everyone has a least one pack, I have three, though I use a hankerchief. They sit unloved in my backpack or in the hotlel only to be taken by someone who needs one who is not me. The hotel also likes to give us tissues and the people in our hotel love to use them. Since coming here we have always had at least four boxes of tissues open in the main room and that doesn't count those in the bedroom. And if we were ever to run out there are usually two to three other unopened boxes waiting on the little table by the bathroom. It is overload I tell you and I wonder if the tissue companies are like some evil but incredibly powerful corporation working within the Egyptian government to ensure everyone's reliance on tissues. It could happen. The only reason I can think of for the popularity of the tissues is because of the pollution. Everyone may have sinus problems or at the very least a runny nose. The whole thing is humorous to me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

True Egyptian pizza!

Anonymous said...

ok, i thought at first you were talking about tissues from sheep. baaa!

tim the younger said...

anonoymous-i saw it made in gad the other day, i think, i will be getting it from there if that is so.

dad-sheep tissues? i don't understand