a little light, a little peace

This is dedicated to my family, friends, and homies in the slam.

Sunday, December 30, 2007

Roomie

I gotta say college sure has changed me, but the one thing that I am most thankful for is ending up with a great roommate. We are stable, not too crazy, and trust each other with our animals (well he would if he had one).

Getting off to Egypt has made me say goodbye to a lot of people. And each time I do, I am forced to think about who they are and what they mean to me as I will not be seeing them for a couple of months. A lot could happen in those couple of months, I could get married, they could change schools, or something irrevocable could happen. But I am thankful for the five stable semesters I have had in knowing that I can trust my roommate, be wingman for each other (though I was never very good at it as his, but I'll be better when I get back), and that I can sleep at night without worrying whether he will steal my stuff in the middle of the night.

I hope to see him again before I go, but when I do go, I will take those memories of him and I to Egypt and use them to comfort me as I play frogger with the traffic and buy the wrong food because I can't read the menu.

He has also been essential in helping me see myself and my actions in viewing them outside myself. Through some of our discussions, he has helped me understand how I project my personality, and by becoming aware of this I can refine who I am and be a better person. There are only a few people in the world outside of my family who can do that.

We are going to be making some big decisions soon as college comes to a close, and I hope that we will stay in touch. Four years of getting to know someone ain't nothin', so I'm not planning on letting it go.

So all in all, thanks dude, and happy new year.

No comments: