a little light, a little peace

This is dedicated to my family, friends, and homies in the slam.

Sunday, June 22, 2008

Blogorrhea

Five posts+one day=incredible, be sure to catch ‘em all!

Ahhh. My life has finally gotten routine again. You might say “Eww. Routine? Why would you want that in Egypt?” I would answer that I am a creature of habit, as I would argue that all of you are. Doing new things everyday is way too stressful. With my routines, I prefer to think of them as large circles (Aikido influence no doubt), I stay sane and happy and time passes at an acceptable rate.

Everyday I do Arabic, read from this textbook reader my former roommate gave me about Islamic culture, read for pleasure, and write. Three days a week I go to Aikido (see other recent post). And three days of week I get extended internet, dragging myself to campus for a couple of hours. I watch TV, go see movies, and eat dinner with my roommate. Also to spice it up, my roommate and I have some jaunts planned to see different parts of the city (to be honest things that he wants to do and I am going to tag along).

I also think everyday about home and being there, but I am not pining away. I miss it incredibly and want to go home, but I just trying living each day until July 31st arrives.

To further expand upon my reading interests I continue to explore different podcasts and online serials. Most recently I have started the podcast Infection by Scott Sigler which so far is okay. I am waiting for the story to pick up. Also I recently read some extra material tied to David Dunwoody’s Empire. They were two prequel like bits, one called After Dead which details how the zombie apocalypse started. Fantastic writing. Pete Clarke reminds me very much of Bannerman from David Wellington’s zombie trilogy. (If you don’t know who Bannerman is then you need to read the zombie novels start Monster Island. Then you might as well read the rest of his material as Bannerman pops up every now again to rock your socks off.)

There is also a little ditty called Meta Dead which is not in song form at all so the ditty conception doesn’t really work. It is an IM chat session between authors of zombie fiction and is incredibly creepy. The session takes place in between After Dead and Empire as the world is ending. It is a great medium to express the end of the world on because the reader gets several different perspectives. But what makes it so great is that the reader only knows what the IMer tells you leaving your mind straining to figure out what is going on outside of cyberspace. You end up creating all these events and conversations yourself that are occurring outside of cyberspace for the authors in the story. Good stuff.

No comments: