a little light, a little peace

This is dedicated to my family, friends, and homies in the slam.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

List of Activities

Now that I have finished being sick, I can get on with life. For me, this basically entails several things which keep me busy.
1. Arabic-textbook, comic books (by far more interesting) but both are incredibly slooow and hard.
2. For lack of a better part of a word textbooks-This consists of a huge packet (several hundred pages) of material about the cultural history of the Middle East in the early years of the development of the Islamic empire. This includes everything from the Arabic language (grammar and lexicon development) to religion to law.
3. Working on my blogs-much fun.
4. Writing-the funnest.
5. Working up the courage to go and talk with some shopkeeper who makes chairs by weaving them with cane. I did a little at summer camp, and want to become acquaintances so he will show me his trade (maybe) and I can speak Arabic.
6. Sleeping-been doing a lot of that.
7. Reading online material and listening to podcasts, my new favorite.
8. Cooking my own meals and having someone to eat them with. (This is one of the things I treasure and that I miss doing with my family.
9. Going back to Aikido!
10. Waiting to be reunited with my family.

So as you can see very busy, but it is much fun. Just very hot. We stay inside all day if we are able and venture out only if we need to.

For food related adventures, we went out looking for new places to eat and went to a koshary hall, where we got a new dish. It was penne noodles with some sort of meat product in a sweet sauce. Nicholas thinks the meat was sheep or goat, but definitely not beef. (Hope it was not dog! Perdita you might find yourself in the pot) I made eggs this morning, but our gas ran out in the middle of it. We had to call Salama, our go to doorman (literally for anything we need help with or need) and he fixed us up all shiny. (I’ve been watching too much Firefly, for those of you who caught the reference.)

For books that I am reading that some of you might like:
Eastern Standard Time by Cory Doctorow-It is about tribalism centered around time zones. Apparently this book is known to some (another firefly reference!) Interesting read also with the technological bent.

The Harvest Cycle by David Dunwoody-The Apocalyspe mixed with monsters who ravage people for their ability to dream with violent robots thrown into the mix for good taste. Quite good and a story currently being posted every Wednesday and Friday

Abandon by Greg Carter and Elliot Dombo-A twice weekly comic (Tuesday and Thursday) about the original vampire. A bit different than might story but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t rock. Check it out!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I caught myself using 'shiny' quite recently.

tim the younger said...

peter-most excellent

Michelle said...

what are the arabic comics about? superheroes? :)