a little light, a little peace

This is dedicated to my family, friends, and homies in the slam.

Sunday, June 22, 2008

storytelling 4 u

I want to revive the art of storytelling. I am not talking about that in books, because that is alive and well, you could argue just walk into a bookstore. I want to bring back storytelling, which existed before books, before TV, before radio, and before the internet. (Not that I don’t love all those things)

Maybe it is just me but I have a fascination with storytelling and old fashioned sort of things. I remember when my grandfather would tell me, my brother, and my cousin stories as we all slept over my grandparent’s house. We would all lie in one bed and he would come in and tell us stories about how we were knights and fighting bad guys.

I was just thinking about this last night which has maybe pushed me to actually move on the storytelling idea. There was that plus learning about the professional storytellers that used to exist in the Arabian world called hakaweyats (I think). These two catalysts burst the bubble that was festering in the pit of my brain with this idea. This is not the first time I have thought about this either.

Therefore, I think I will begin telling stories, sadly for now to myself, but when I get home I will subject my brothers to my storytelling. Hopefully by then I will be more confident and established. Also have some other TOP SECRET ideas with what I want to do with this idea. Just need to do some more research first.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

sounds like a great idea. I wouldn’t mind being subjected to your stories, I love stories. :) I like telling them too, but I think I need to work on my technique.
I should introduce you to my friend Tom, storytelling is his thing. He’s traveled across much of Europe, so you 2 could swap traveling stories. Those tend to be good.