a little light, a little peace

This is dedicated to my family, friends, and homies in the slam.

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Back in the saddle again-blogs, online serials, wurst, turkish delight, and fiction in general

Wooh! Time to start blogging again. Before you read anyfurther, you should check out this story my dad sent me by a much better author than I. Even if you don't like science fiction, I would suggest reading it. It is a short story, so a small investment of your time. The story says interesting things...
The Last Question by Issac Asimov http://filer.case.edu/dts8/thelastq.htm

I have finished Autumn by David Moody and overall I like it. There are many more books in the series but you have to pay for them, so no go for right now, maybe when I get home and am working again. It was a slightly different zombie story one that focused much more on the human interactions and character building than on the gore fest. To me, this meant a little less action than I am used to in a zombie novel, and it took a little getting used to the difference.

So I am back in Cairo from Turkey and Germany and welcomed home with the full fanfare of Egyptness. To illustrate: Two days ago, Sunday, I was in Germany at the airport waiting for my flight, drinking a beer and eating a pretzel for breakfast still breathing the clean air. (The day before I was hiking in the black forest) Yesterday, I watched as a truck drove down the rode with a guy on the back who was sitting next to a machine that was spewing some sort of smoke or gas into the air. It was at such a prodigous rate that the visibilty went down dramatically. I don't know what I was breathing. (and I have already had koshary twice, and possibly will today too). Despite all this, I still was happy stepping off the plane to be back in Cairo.

I have found another short story to read. Yes I am always exploring when putting off my homework. It is similar to Zanesville by Kris Saknussemn but not about God (but I have only read the prologue so I could be wrong). It is called Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom and is written by Cory Doctorow. So far its crazy. I had to read the prologue twice to begin to understand it, but I am looking forward to reading the rest. Check it out!

And if any of you can read Arabic, I will be posting a very short zombie story in Arabic at Sunset soon, in sha' Allah. In fact, I am going to start typing it up now...

I promise to soon tell you about my trip to Turkey and Germany.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Yay! You're back.
Hehe, you really do like hyperlinks.

tim the younger said...

birky-yes i do