a little light, a little peace

This is dedicated to my family, friends, and homies in the slam.

Saturday, May 17, 2008

Iran

I am curious. What do you all really think of Iran? What images pop into your head when you see its name in a headline or hear someone talk about it?

If you would, could you post a response to this (before you read the articles) and let me know what you all think of Iran. It can be anonymous if you want, but I would like it honest. Then read these two articles which give two different viewpoints about Iran and the people.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/middle_east/article1363826.ece
http://www.alternet.org/audits/66847

They may challenge your assumptions. They challenged mine.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

When I hear the word "Iran" I think of my uncle is who Persian (Iranian) Armenian and his family who had to leave Iran because they're Christians. I think of innocent people and a probably corrupt government. I don't know, I'm not very up to date at all when it comes to world affairs.

Michelle said...

*Reads an article I have*
Make that an "oppressive" government.
Now I'll read your articles.

Michelle said...

I knew Iran was getting pretty westernized, I've read Persepolis and Reading Lolita in Tehran, plus what my relatives told me.
But yeah, oppressive- censorship and it's really hard to be a Christian there.
(This was a cool idea, btw.)

Anonymous said...

iran may have a similar image as our country. a collection of interesting and boisterous people, led by a group of corrupt and inane government officials