a little light, a little peace

This is dedicated to my family, friends, and homies in the slam.

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

p.s. I love you

Dear Qahira,

Today I realized something important. Somewhere along the lines of our three month relationship, I fell in love with you.

I fell for your fantastic Islamic architecture, energetic and talkative people, chaotic markets, and calls to prayer. Your food entices me and your beer relaxes me, but I must say koshary is my favorite.

As in any relationship, I am able to overlook most of the bad things and see you for what you truly are. I accept the pollution. I accept the homeless children. I accept your trash littered streets and alleys. I accept the ceaseless honking of horns. It doesn't make it right or nice, but its normal for me now.

I love my walk to school in the morning. It is quieter, usually not as smoggy, and I get to say hi to the shoe shiner who has never shined my shoes but says hi back anyway (in arabic of course). The smells that I get from the dumpster to the bakery make my walk complete, and it is a kindest gentlest greeting that I think I ever get from you. I even love talking in arabic (most of the time).

I have seen so much and at the same time only been able to take in a tiny bit that is this great city. I don't know if I can ever live with you; I don't think you are good for my health, but then what city is. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it (my Egyptian english class did not get this) sometime in the future. Thanks for showing me who I am, and for making me a better person. Isn't that what all relationships do?

See you soon,

Tim

4 comments:

randi said...

tim, you should send that to the retriever. really really powerful, seriously.

and im happy that you fell in love :)

tim the younger said...

thanks randi

tim the younger said...

to follow up randi-i was feeling some strong emotions that day, just really happy walking back to my hotel. i thought of the idea and then just wrote from my heart

randi said...

amazing.