a little light, a little peace

This is dedicated to my family, friends, and homies in the slam.

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Day 2 of Nipon Aikido Seminar

Day 2 of the seminar was a little less exciting for me. I didn’t sleep well the night before, despite being exhausted so I was actually tired for the first time during the day in a long time. I had forgotten how crappy you feel and wondered how I ever did it during high school and the school year.

Most people arrived at 7 but for some reason or another there were other classes going on. We had to wait until eightish to start the seminar. It was all weapons work except for a few hand to hand techniques which were done to complement the weapons work. We worked individually on jo and bokken and in pairs jo v jo, bokken v bokken and bokken v jo. Good stuff but frustrating for me. Weapons work is very interesting to me but one where I have the least experience and the exercises with them, especially with partners, are still very difficult. On top of that I was tired. The seminar finished at its normal time which means that we had a shorter one than yesterday and we finished with the shihan talking a little and our sensei giving him, the other guest sensei and the two other accompanying students presents from Egypt. I then went home, crashed and watched a little tv, and slept quite soundly.

I am fortunate to have been able to attend two seminars while out of the country and get to experience the different teaching styles of the higher ranked practitioners of the art. I am, of course, really looking forward to going to practice Aikido back home.

No comments: