a little light, a little peace

This is dedicated to my family, friends, and homies in the slam.

Thursday, July 3, 2008

TT&G II

This is Part Two.

Way back when before I left my country and had just started up my blog, I promised I would make an entry for my friends Taleh, Trish, and Gaby (names again changed to protect the guilty) which I did. I also told them I would probably do a part to in order to help get me through the rest of my time here. Well this is that time for remembering the good friends I have back home and what I have to look forward to when I get there.

There have been several things throughout the semester which have reminded me of them each in different ways that when I see them make me smile.

Regularly throughout the semester I would catch sight of something around me that would remind me of Trish whether it was a building, or something framed by flowers, the way a bird sat just so in a tree, or the way the clouds framed the skyline and bridges crossing the Nile. Every time I saw something picturesque I thought of Trish because she is such an amazing photographer. Last semester most of our floor went through picture sessions from Trish capturing the good side of everyone. Oh and I think of Trish every time my old man muscles and bones creak when I am trying to stretch in warming up for Aikido. Go Gumby!

Now Gaby, I always think of whenever I watch Firefly or Serenity (which occurred frequently throughout the semester. I remember her yelling when ________ dies and when ________ and _______ kiss and when ________ and ________ don’t kiss. (haha) I also see Gaby in all the children who I see and who talk to me in the streets. Not that she is childish, (well some times… :) jk) but that she has a youthful spirit always ready to laugh and have a good time. I also think of Gaby when I do Aikido because I remember all the times she either volunteered or I volunteered her to do a technique on her, usually which ended up with her in pain lying half dead on the common room floor.

Taleh, of course, I think of Aikido (really says what I do here don’t you think) with her dance and our numerous stretch sessions throughout last semester. I don’t think I was ever more flexible than last semester. I try to copy the grace she has that I have seen in the performance she showed me and the weird little dances she did on the Humanities Floor every now and then. One of my favorite memories is watching Alex and her waltzing in the common area with all the couches and chairs pushed back to the perimeter. She is also into makeup and so are the girls here in Cairo. They really focus on their face, especially the eyes here, and I know she is a fair hand with it all. (She should be getting a job with it soon, at least that is what I have been led to believe. er-hem :)) Taleh hasn’t gotten her makeup on me yet, wasn’t around me freshmen year (one of my few makeup experiences in college).

These girls are three great amigas. I missed hanging out with them this semester, and though next semester won’t be the same, I can’t wait to see them. Just writing about them brings back the glorious memories we had doing stupid stuff, being weird, and generally living life up at UMBC.

I didn’t look at the first post, so I don’t know if I repeated myself. If I did it is because those are the things that stick out that make me smile some five thousand miles away.

2 comments:

Gaby said...

You just made my day, Tim.

tim the younger said...

glad i could be of service